Mailing Address

Elder Derek Roden
Tennessee Knoxville Mission
11320 Station West Drive, Suite 101
Farragut, TN 37934

Thursday, January 17, 2019

January 14


Hey y’all, hope everyone had a good one there.

MON:
 We had a good pday today, nothing special but we just hung out at the church and played basketball and stuff.

TUE:
  Today we had a couple of cool experiences.  We had an appointment set for 7:00 to meet a guy named Cory.  So we showed up at his apartment and he wasn’t there, so we went back to our car to send him a text. Then as we were walking back this guy pulls up and goes into the apartment, so we knew it was him.  Then as he walks out of his apartment again he calls us, which was super awkward considering we were like 30 yards away from him, and he tells us to meet him at the laundry mat because he needed to do laundry now, haha. So it was just super awkward as we pulled up to the laundry mat at the same time and he realized it was us at his apartment. But aside from all the awkwardness, we were able to have a really cool discussion with him.  He is in a rough situation right now, but is very faithful and is seeking all the help he can get.
 
  Then after that it was about 8:30 and I felt like we needed to be somewhere soon, and my first though was McDonald's.  I kinda threw that thought to the side and figured that was just my tubby side talking.  Then again I thought the same thing so I was like "I don’t know why, but let’s go get a drink". So we just walked in and got a $1 drink and were walking to go sit down when this guy says, "Hey I got a question, how do y'all become missionaries? I think it’d be cool to be one or help y’all out somehow". We then had a good 45 minute conversation with Robert Boyd from Pearl, Mississippi.  He was a truck driver and just happened to stop off eating dinner when we walked in.  We got along super well and had a lot of common interests. He played baseball all growing up and through college, where he played at Mississippi State. And he even spent a few years in the minor leagues.  After talking sports for a while (which I needed), we talked about what we do as missionaries and what it means to us, and you could tell he was very intrigued by it. Then he asked us to send missionaries to his house in back in Mississippi, so we are gladly going to do that!

WED:
   Today we went on splits with the Zone Leaders. I went with Elder McCoy, who is from Sacramento area California. It was a really fun day because we get along super well and are already pretty good friends.  So the day was spent in their area working.

THU:
   We held our District Council today, which is always a good way to start off the day!  Afterwards we went to lunch then spent a majority of the day with the Collegedale Elders helping them find some people. 

FRI:
   Friday we did a whole lot of contacting and tracting, and the mission medical sister told me I had to go to the Urgent Care, so we did that too.  They thought I had Ringworm at first but I just have some type of Eczema(?) I guess. From my understanding it is my body’s way of telling me I’m allergic to the air around here.  I just have these big rashes on my arms and legs that have been developing for a couple months so I just gotta take these steroids they gave me for a few weeks and it should be back to normal.

The rest of the week was just normal missionary stuff, nothing too exciting.  We did find out that in February some time we will be having a mission wide zone conference with Elder Gong of the Quorum of the 12 so that should be cool.

Have a good week,

Elder Roden 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last One

Well, this will be my last email, pretty crazy.   We had an awesome week!!   On Wednesday we got to go to the Sevierville building for o...