The theme of this week:
Mathew 5:10 "Blessed are they
which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of
heaven."
I had been thinking a lot for the
last couple of weeks about the "persecution" we get sometimes as
missionaries. Mostly because it was a weird week and it happened a lot
more than usual, haha.
We were taking a day where we just
walked everywhere, and it seemed like all day long cars were honking at us and
having a competition to see whose middle finger was the longest, and seeing how
loud their voices were, and using vibrant language so we could tell they wanted
us to hear their golden pipes. This continued through the week, wherever we
went. All week long, working all day long, we didn't have a lick of luck.
We also got caught in a couple massive
rainstorms, one while we were a few miles away from out car. Soaked to the
bone!
Then on Saturday we had used up a
lot of miles, so we had to leave the car parked at the apartment for the day.
That morning while we were planning, we were getting really frustrated and we
weren't sure what we should be doing, nothing felt right. Then I just had one
name pop into my head, Tyler Rowe. He is an inactive member that we had tried
to see before, but we didn't think it would be a good use of time because he lived
about eight miles away, and it was super hot and sunny, and there were not a
lot of houses or people around him that we could see or try to find people, and
missionaries hadn't seen him in over 2 years. But we decided to just go
for it. After a couple hours of walking across town and up a canyon, we finally
got to his house and were greeted very warmly and had an awesome talk with him
for a while. He mentioned he is wanting to come back to church, and now he
might be able to if he gets a job he is interviewing for on Tuesday. By the
time we were done, and by the time we had gotten back to town and eaten dinner
it was already time to return to the apartment. So the whole walk back, I was
just thinking, we did see him which was great, but that seems like a long day
to just talk to one individual. I wasn't exactly sure we had used our time
wisely. But along the way multiple people stopped to give us water, and
multiple people stopped to offer us rides, even if we couldn't accept them.
Tyler even drove by us and offered to give us a ride, and without even thinking
I said no thanks. Right after that I was wondering what the heck I was doing.
But something just told me "you are supposed to be walking today."
After we got back into town we
stopped at a Burger King about a mile from our apartment and ate. We then
started to walk home. We were about 300 yards from our apartment walking in
front of a tiny little gas station, when some bright headlights shine directly
at us and here comes a big red pickup truck pulling us over to talk to us. At
first we thought, oh boy here we go. But then we came to know two individuals
named Keith and Shannon. They told us that they had seen us walking on an over
pass above the highway earlier that day, and they wished they could have
stopped and talked to us, but they were too busy. We wouldn’t have been there
had we not listened to the spirit, to see Tyler. We immediately got into a
gospel discussion about us as missionaries, Church organization, and other
things. The questions he was asking brought up each and every point of the
message of the restoration. They both agreed wholeheartedly and absolutely
loved the idea of the Book of Mormon. That was the absolute best lesson I have
ever taught as a missionary, because of the spirit. We were also texting
Shannon yesterday, and she went home and told her friends in her apartment
building all about it, and she’s bringing one on Wednesday when we meet with
them again.
We needed to walk 17 miles in the
sun that day, just so we could enjoy that last 300 yards. We needed to
turn down air conditioned car rides with sweat dripping off our chins, just for
that moment. There is literal power in obedience.
Sometimes I don't like to be here,
but I love it always. I have been blessed to be "persecuted for righteous
sake." Cussed out, flipped off, spat at, whatever it is. Elder
Bluth, one of the AP's said something at Zone Conference on Thursday.
"When you wake up at 6:30 every morning, that's starting off with a big
right hook to Satan's mouth." That is 100% true!
I'm grateful to be serving a
mission, it's been a year since I opened up that call letter, the best news
I've ever gotten. I have learned something very precious to me out here,
and it's simple: the Gospel simply works. It doesn't fail, if you
try.
God bless,
Elder Roden
| Pretty sure the sign is not about Elder Roden and his friends, but... |
| P Day hiking |
| Beautiful Tennessee |
No comments:
Post a Comment