This week we started out
with another fun P Day in Farragut. Then that night, a less active member had already
invited us to dinner. He is a chef at a nice restaurant in the really nice
hotel so he just said "whatever you guys want, it's on us". So that was really awesome of him to do. We
were also able to discuss why he hadn't been coming to church for a bit, and
now he should be there this Sunday. He's a really good guy, so I hope to get to
know him better, not just because he is a chef.
On Tuesday we watched the announcement of the new First Presidency of the church. What a beautiful thing to see such an easy transition- no voting, no campaigning, no arguing- just the Lord running his church. The passing of President Monson was a very sad thing, but his mortal ministry was completed and he is where he needs to be. It’s the same with President Russell M. Nelson; he is where he needs to be. I fully sustain him and pray for his success.
Wednesday was so cold! Haha. It snowed all night and that day it was like 15 degrees. But we were working. We had an interesting experience with a guy that cussed us out for a few minutes and then called us "(blank) wizards". He didn't speak super clear English so I was not really sure what to think, but it was kind of funny.
Thursday was district meeting and we also did exchanges since it was a new transfer. So after district meeting in Maryville, Elder Heninger and I drove back to Sevierville to work. I was so happy. I haven't driven in so long! But we had 3 appointments that night and they all went very well. We are also really good friends now so it's always fun to work with him.
| Elders Roden and Heninger and their awful green jackets |
On Tuesday we also were able to go teach an inactive
family who is struggling with a lot right now. We took Bradley Minton, who is
18 and planning to serve a mission soon. It felt kind of weird for me to be
answering some of his questions and giving him tips and advice because it still
feels like I don't know what I'm doing half of the time. It still is a daily
struggle and adjustment for me to be a full time missionary. But I see the
Lord's hand in my life daily, and I would not be here without the companionship
of the Holy Ghost and the support of my family. Right now I am just doing my
best to make the mold, and hopefully I will be able to fit into it one day.
I'm not sure why I have been sent to the "buckle of the bible belt" as they call it. I'm not sure why I am serving in the Sevierville area. I’m not sure why I get called a "wizard" in some way just about every day. I'm not sure why the Lord has someone like me, who has had many personal struggles, to represent Him and His church. But I do know that I am an essential piece to this eternal puzzle, as we all are. I truly have been born of goodly parents. I hope I can honor them. I truly have been blessed with amazing family, friends, and acquaintances. I now hope that I can learn from those examples and be able to help others, because that is why I was sent here.
Thank you all,
Elder Derek Kenneth Roden
No comments:
Post a Comment